Monday, January 19, 2009

The Twilight book series... and all its disappointments

Because of the overwhelming amount of publicity, popularity, and good things said about this series on facebook, the Twilight books lit up my curiosity.  First, my husband and I saw the movie, a regular vampire love story cheese fest equipped with a teenager-friendly soundtrack, attractive actors, and ridiculous dialogue.  I had to stop myself from laughing out loud during several key moments of the film, but I love to laugh so God bless bad films.

Now that I'd had a taste of the hype, I decided to begin the series, especially since all the Twilight fans I met seemed adamant about the book's superiority to the film.  Despite my reservations about vampire books (I've never been a fan), I bought the first two and added three and four to my Christmas list.  

It took me a while to get through Twilight simply because I'd just seen the movie thus all suspense was... suspended.  It was better, more detailed and offered insight into the characters, but the books had one irreversible effect:  I hate Bella Swan.  I don't much care for Edward and Jacob either, but I loathe Bella.  Never have I encountered such a stupidly selfish and dumbly love struck character of literature in all my life.  I am all for a well-rounded, three dimensional character full of flaws, but the amount of her selfishness makes her villainous.  

The series itself had such potential, but went absolutely nowhere, wrapped up in a pretty box with a pink bow at the conclusion.  Disgusting.  Happy endings are wonderful, but Meyer builds and builds a battle scene, encouraging excitement and anticipation in her readers, only to deliver a giant let down that ruins the entire series.  This is one story I hope gets completely rewritten for the screen and alter the terrible ending of Breaking Dawn. And now, Meyer is retelling the whole thing from Edward's perspective, as if it was so amazing the first time.

I could get into more detail and nit pick each book, but it all comes down to the same conclusion: a waste of time.  People have referred to Stephanie Meyer and her books as the next J.K. Rowling-- what an insult.  These books, the stories and characters are nowhere near the caliber of Harry Potter-- nowhere.  If you're looking for a series of young adult, fantasy fiction full of adventure, complicated characters, relationships, winding stories offering an escape into another world, The HP series still remains number one on my list.  Though not to completely discredit the series, there are definitely good moments and the supporting characters pique the reader's interest enough to keep you occupied.  My suggestion to the curious reader:  get a library card and check out the books for free... or call me and I'll give you mine.

2 comments:

ElizabethEE said...

As a fan of the Twilight Saga, I more than appreciate your review. You hit on all of the things I did find odd about the series. Like you, I loathe Bella Swan. However, as explained to me from another Twilight fan (a little further from her teenage years than us), she is being a typical 17/18 year old experiencing love for the first time with all the drama and selfishness involved. While I hate her character, I do believe if we resort back to high school, this is how a typical girl would act in such "forbidden" love.

I think what intrigues us Twilight fans about the series is that it is like bad, mindless TV (maybe I'm the only one who will admit it though). It sucks us in and we can't get enough and before you know it, your entire day has been spent absorbed in this nonsense. The only difference between watching TV and reading a book, is that you feel more intellectual reading it and therefore seems far more superior than TV.

The movie, however, is crap. All I have to say is that my theory on not seeing movies made from my favorite books still stands. I made my husband stand in line with all the little pre-teens wearing their "I love Edward" shirts only to encounter a total waste of time (he actually didn't mind the movie but didn't read the book). You were not the only one who mistook it for a comedy; a little far over the top for my taste. Hopefully to accommodate Twilight Fans in the future, they'll tone down the melodramatic escapade. But then again, isn't that the epitome of Bella Swan?

So, to end my horribly long comment, thank you for your review. It was honest, well written, articulate, and comes from someone that I
most certainly trust with my reading and viewing pleasures. Keep up the good work!

From a Twilight Fan,

Elizabeth

Jamie said...

Thanks for the comment, Elizabeth! And I love that it's long! Your reference to bad TV hit the nail right on the head. That's why I think borrowing the book rather than buying is a good way to start the series. If the reader becomes head over heals then they can purchase, but I regret doing so.

Reading the books definitely kept me occupied, and for a couple days I couldn't put 2 or 3 down (Eclipse is by far the best). The worst part about the series is the conclusion and that's what ruined everything-- it voids the entire experience. But I do think the general public enjoys stories wrapped neatly in a happy ending.

I'm sorry about the movie experience. Actually, I didn't want to go but my husband was in the mood to see a bad film and Twilight was top of the list! And it didn't disappoint. I'll go and see the rest as I'm interested to see what Hollywood does with it.

Thanks for commenting!!!!!!!!!!! You're awesome!