Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Watchman Review

  Anyone who appreciates a sexy trailer with an excellent song has been intrigued by "The Watchmen."  After seeing it for the first time, I once again felt the need to investigate and read the original graphic novel, especially to observe the adaption (I refrain from using the word "compare" as film is its own medium and will tell a story differently than text).  

Graphic novels never had an appeal to me until recently, thanks to my husband's influence, and I am fortunate the interest has grown.  "The Watchmen" is much more than illustrations and a melodramatic superhero story, it questions the price our own civil "superheroes" make from sacrificing relationships and family, to the psychological and emotional effects the responsibility of protecting the public creates.  Furthermore, themes of love, betrayal, regret, and age all wind their way through the complex characters and plot lines.

This is definitely a graphic novel that requires rereading, for both the story and the reader.  The story is meant to be reviewed and dissected-- every drawing, every character, every word is relevant.  And readers must reread to comprehend every lesson, not to mention the ending... Even now my critique feels incapacitated as I've only read The Watchman once.  

This spring's film adaptation seems to have the imagery dead on, but I can't imagine how it will capture the depth and content of the graphic novel.  If nothing else-- read "The Watchmen."

No comments: